Cool Planet Energy Efficiency
2014 Cool Planet Award Nomination Forms Now Available!
Recognizing Excellence in Energy & Carbon Management
Southern California Edison (SCE) & The Climate Registry are recognizing SCE business customers for their environmental leadership in energy & carbon management.
Award recipients will be honored at an award ceremony held in the fall of 2014 (location TBD) and will receive a plaque made from recycled glass and a media relations campaign to highlight their leadership.
Awards are determined from point-based criteria, pertaining to energy and carbon management initiatives and achievements between January 1, 2010 – March 31, 2014.
Nominations are open through May 30,2014.
Learn more, and apply now:
2014 COOL PLANET AWARD NOMINATION FORM
2013 Cool Planet Award Recipients
Southern California Edison (SCE) and The Climate Registry are pleased to announce the recipients of the 2013 Cool Planet Award:
City of Cathedral City – Government & Institutional (Small)
Cool Planet Award recipients are recognized for demonstrating leadership in energy and carbon management within their business size and industry sector. Award recipients are chosen by a point-based system, which evaluates the total number of points earned for energy efficiency and environmental activities as detailed on the nomination form.
Thank you to all SCE business customers who submitted applications for the 2013 Cool Planet Award. The Cool Planet Awards are sponsored by Southern California Edison and The Climate Registry’s Cool Planet Project.
Click HERE the to view the 2012 award recipients
What is the Cool Planet Project?
The Climate Registry administers an energy efficiency and climate change mitigation program called the Cool Planet Project with electric and gas utilities in select regions. The Cool Planet Project highlights the relationship between energy usage and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, providing utility company business customers assistance in measuring and managing their energy & carbon output. Participating business customers are provided Registry membership to capture the reductions made through energy efficiency into complete carbon footprint, while identifying new energy savings opportunities.
Program Benefits to Utility Company
- Demonstrates environmental leadership and best practices in energy efficiency and greenhouse gas reductions
- Supports state and regional energy policy and goals, which promote EE as a cost-effective means for tackling climate change
- Effectively markets existing EE programs by relating them to environmental impact
- Provides climate change education and training to utility staff and their customers
- Strong EE programs save utilities from investing in new power plants or imported energy
Program Value to Participating Utility Customers
Recognition as an Environmental Leader
- Public relations services provided to communicate environmental leadership to the public
- Strengthens an organization’s voice among industry peers and national policy makers
- Readiness for new regulations and potential trading
- Document voluntary GHG reductions in a state-backed program
- Identify inefficiencies in energy usage while improving energy and carbon management
- Assess liability and risk and provide transparent information to public and stakeholders
Assistance in Measuring Carbon Footprint
- Expert Registry educational services, measuring and reporting software, and technical support provided
Current and Past Participants
- All American Asphalt
- American Internet Services
- Balboa Park Cultural Partnership
- California Commercial Asphalt
- California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
- City of Beaumont,CA
- City of Brea, CA
- City of Cathedral City, CA
- City of Chula Vista, CA
- City of Lomita, CA
- City of Long Beach, CA
- City of Palm Springs, CA
- City of Rancho Mirage, CA
- City of San Bernardino, CA
- City of San Diego, CA
- City of Santa Barbara, CA
- City of Simi Valley, CA
- City of Ventura, CA
- County of Los Angeles, CA
- County of San Diego, CA
- County of Ventura, CA
- Crowne Plaza San Diego
- Dean Foods Company
- Del Mar Fairgrounds
- Eastern Municipal Water District
- Gills Onions, LLC
- Hokto Kinoko
- Houweling Nurseries
- Inland Empire Utilities Agency
- Irvine Ranch Water District
- Jazz Semiconductor, Inc.
- Los Angeles Community College District
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- Marriott International
- Merrick Engineering
- Mission Foods
- Niagara Bottling, LLC
- Orange County Transportation Authority
- Pepperdine University
- Qualcomm, Inc.
- Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems
- SeaWorld San Diego
- Safeway, Inc.
- San Diego County Water Authority
- Solar Turbines Incorporated
- Sperian Protection
- Suburban Water Systems
- The Grand Del Mar
- The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
- THUMS Long Beach
- University of California, Irvine
- University of California, Riverside
- University of California, San Diego
- University of California, Santa Barbara
- University of San Diego
- Vertex Pharmaceutical
Participating Members share their success with the program. A few samples are below. You can find more examples on the Success Stories page.