Government Services Manager
The Climate Registry (Registry) is a nonprofit collaboration among North American states, provinces, territories and Native Sovereign Nations that sets consistent and transparent standards to calculate, verify and publicly report greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions into a single registry.
The Registry assists the country’s leading organizations in measuring their greenhouse gas emissions, and is a center of thought leadership for climate change. Registry participants include over 300 businesses, non-profit organizations, municipalities, state agencies and others. More information about TCR is available at www.theclimateregistry.org.
Pursuant to Executive Order B-18-12 (EO B-18-12), State of California agencies (state agencies) are required to annually report their GHG emissions to the Climate Registry Information System (CRIS) database. In addition, the Climate Action Team (CAT) has established the State Government operations subgroup to coordinate GHG and climate change efforts from state government operations.
The Manager’s primary role is to support State of California agencies as they continue to annually report their GHG inventories pursuant to EO B-18-12. In addition to working with California Environmental Protection Agency staff, this individual will also work with The Registry’s program staff to improve overall support for government services throughout North America. The primary responsibilities are outlined below:
- On an ongoing basis, provide overall technical assistance and training to State agency staff to report their GHG inventories
- Track state agency reporting and prepare status reports
- Develop materials and resources to assist reporting and emission reduction activities
- Provide basic logistical support for state agency meetings, including coordinating and scheduling relevant trainings, workshops, and conference calls
- Prepare materials for speaking engagements and public meetings
- Attend meetings, technical workshops, conferences related to climate change and GHG emissions
- Identify financial and other opportunities for promoting TCR programs and efforts in Sacramento and statewide
This position will be based in Sacramento.
- MA/MS and BS/BA degree in public policy, environmental management, environmental policy, or related
- Previous work experience with state and/or federal government
- Ability to apply scientific, engineering and economic methods and principles to evaluate data and information pertaining to GHG and climate change policies
- Strong ability to manage and perform analytical and program development work
- Participate in interagency group meetings, and prepare agendas, meeting notes, presentations and reports
- Experience building GHG inventories, working with GHG/climate change and/or corporate environmental management
- Public relations skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong network within California state government
- U.S. citizenship or legal right to work in the U.S.
The Registry offers a competitive full benefits package including:
- Starting salary: $60K-$65K
- Health, dental, and vision coverage
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Paid sick and vacation time
- Business commuting and business phone reimbursements
- 403(b) retirement plan option
Upon completion of the application and candidate selection process, the chosen candidate will be located in Sacramento, California. Anticipated target start date is March 2014. Interested candidates should submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample (maximum of 5 pages)
You can also mail your application to:
The Climate Registry
601 W. 5th St, Suite 220
Los Angeles, CA 90071
If you have questions about TCR or the position, please contact Margaret Melendrez at 866-523-0764.
The Climate Registry is an equal opportunity employer.