General Verification Protocol
The Registry’s General Verification Protocol (GVP) presents the verification requirements for The Registry’s voluntary GHG emissions reporting program. The Registry developed the GVP to provide Registry-recognized Verification Bodies with clear instructions for executing a standardized approach to the independent verification of annual GHG emissions reported to The Registry.
GVP v. 2.0
The Registry is pleased to release GVP v. 2.0 for immediate use on verifications beginning after May 13, 2010. The Climate Registry’s Board of Directors officially adopted this protocol on June 24, 2010.
- General Verification Protocol (Version 2.0, June 2010) Updated June 30, 2010 with new cover page and hyperlinked table of contents (no other changes from May 13, 2010 posting)
As updates and clarifications to the GVP are developed, they will be integrated into the Updates and Clarifications document. The content of this document will be incorporated directly into the GVP when it is updated by The Registry.
- NEW:GVP Updates and Clarifications – Released March 19, 2012
To communicate sector-specific verification requirements and guidance to Verification Bodies, The Registry has developed the following sector-specific addenda to the GVP, all of which have been adopted by The Registry’s Board of Directors:
- Local Government Operations (LGO) Addendum to the GVP (Version 1.0, January 2010)
- Electric Power Sector (EPS) Addendum to the GVP (Version 1.0, January 2010)
- Oil & Gas Production (O&GP) Addendum to the GVP (Version 1.0, February 2010)
Local government, EPS and O&GP sector Members are are required to report in accordance with the LGO, EPS, and O&GP Protocols, respectively, starting with their emissions year 2010 data (to be reported in 2011). Likewise, Verification Bodies conducting verifications for EPS and O&GP sector Members’ emissions year 2010 and subsequent inventories must be accredited to the relevant (power generation, electric power transactions, oil and gas) sector(s) and conduct the verifications in accordance with the applicable sector-specific addendum to the GVP (please refer to GVP v. 2.0 Appendix C).
Archived Documents Related to the Development of GVP Version 2.0
- GVP v. 2.0-tracked changes from public comment draft
- Cover Letter Requesting Public Comments
- GVP v. 2.0 Draft for Public Comment (Clean)
- GVP v. 2.0 Public Comment Draft-tracked changes from GVP v. 1.0
- Required Comments Template
- Public Webinar on Draft GVP v. 2.0 (February 18, 2010)