Verification Tips and Resources
- TCR Guidance on Verification Cost Factors– Updated June 1, 2012
- NEW Internally Reviewing Your CRIS Report – Updated February 13, 2012
This document provides you with an insider's look into what Verification Bodies look for when reviewing CRIS Reports and details common errors so that you can catch and correct any inconsistencies before you start the verification process.
- Overview of the Verification Process – Updated February 10, 2011
What does the verification process consist of? This resource outlines the various steps for hiring and contracting a Verification Body, conduction Verification Activities, and submitting your final emissions report to The Registry.
- Verification Tips & FAQs– Updated May 31, 2012
- Sample Request for Proposals - Updated June 1, 2012
A sample request for proposals to help you contract with a Registry-approved Verification Body.
- Sample Non-Disclosure Agreement - June 8, 2012
A Sample Non-Disclosure Agreement for verification services
- Sample Contract - Updated June 1, 2012
A sample contract for verification services.
- Batch Verification FAQs– Updated February 7, 2012
- Prepare for Verification Webinar (recorded session) - Updated July 12, 2010
This webinar is designed to help all Members prepare for verification by reviewing the process and steps and sharing helpful tips.
Tips for an Easier Verification
Download PDF Version
- Identify key personnel, considering:
- Representation across your organization
- Read the General Reporting Protocol
- Read the General Verification Protocol
- Your Verifier cannot provide TA
- Consider seeking TA with:
- First-time inventories
- Large inventories that require additional resources
- Complex inventories that require expertise
- Classify emissions as Simplified Estimation Methods with caution and only when it yields notable reductions of effort
- Be aware of changes resulting in increases beyond threshold
- Keep Simplified Estimation Methods sources the same from one year to the next
- Good evidence simplifies the verification process for both the Member and the verifier
- Expect that the verifier will request records:
- Ideally, maintain copies of all records that support the activity data used in the inventory
- Utility bills, purchase records, logs, etc.
- At a minimum, know:
- Who can provide records associated with the data
- The process for obtaining and providing those records and how long that process might take in your organization
- Prepare an Inventory Management Plan (IMP) to:
- Facilitate internal efforts in preparing next year's inventory
- Communicate the data management system and quantification methodologies to the Verifier
- Evaluate risk:
- Where are systems and controls unclear or weak?
- Where might errors occur due to these weaknesses?
- Where would it matter if errors did occur?
- Follow audit trail, checking activity data and calculations
- Start compiling your inventory early
- Leave time for an internal audit
- Timing of Verification is affected by:
- Conflict of Interest process
- Size and complexity of inventory
- Quality of management system
- Availability of records for verification
- Transparency of audit trail
- Necessity of corrective action
- Strategic Benefits
- Support management confidence in GHG actions (e.g. target setting, reduction projects, trading positions)
- Facilitate transparency for an organization with stakeholders
- Maintain the credibility of GHG program (internal or external)
- Tactical Benefits
- Improve GHG management systems and data collection processes
- Inform organizations on GHG quantification best practices
- Enhance communication, coordination and cooperation of the GHG management team
Tip 1: Starting Out - Look Before You Leap
Tip 2: Get Technical Assistance (TA)
Tip 3: Use Simplified Estimation Methods with Caution
Tip 4: Get Organized
Tip 5: Establish a Clear Audit Trail
Graphic provided courtesy of Registry-recognized Verification Body First Environment, Inc.
Tip 6: Prepare an IMP
Tip 7: Conduct an Internal Audit
Tip 8: Give Yourself Time
Tip 9: Benefit from Verification