Board & Council of Jurisdictions
Board of Directors
Diane is a member and former Chair of the California State Park Commission. She was the founding president of the California Climate Action Registry; its successor organization, The Climate Registry; and the California PEV Collaborative (now VELOZ). She co-authored “California Goes Green: A Roadmap to Climate Leadership.” Previously, she served as vice president of Southern California Edison and Edison International.
Mary D. Nichols
Mary is widely recognized for a career as one of the world’s most important environmental regulators. As chair of the California Air and Resources Board (CARB), California’s powerful air-pollution and climate regulatory agency from 1975-1982 and then from 2007-2020, she led California’s leading battle to cut smog and carbon emissions. Under Mary’s leadership, CARB enacted the first comprehensive cap on industrial greenhouse gas emissions by any major regulatory agency in the world. Mary is currently a professor at UCLA Law School and holds visiting appointments in the Columbia Global Energy Program and the Cornell Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future. She also serves as the Vice-Chair of the China-California Climate Center and Co-Chair of the Commission on the Future of Mobility.
As Chief of Advisory Services at Bluesource, Janet is responsible for leading outreach, guidance, and engagement on key climate issues. Prior to her role at Bluesource, Janet was in the executive management team at the Pew Center on Global Climate Change and helped launch its successor, the Center on Climate and Energy Solutions. As a recognized expert on climate issues, she is an advisor to the World Bank’s High-Level Panel on Carbon Pricing Competitiveness, the NRG COSIA Carbon XPRIZE, American University’s Center for Environmental Policy, and Arizona State’s Urban Resilience Network. She is a past member of the review team for the Fourth National Climate Assessment, National Research Council’s Roundtable on Climate Change Education, and the Council of Canadian Academies on oil sand environmental technologies.
Cathy S. Woollums
Cathy is the Senior Vice President, Chief Sustainability Officer for Berkshire Hathaway. She is responsible for developing, leading and integrating the sustainability strategy throughout the company and has served in various legal, environmental and executive roles in the company. Cathy has served several terms on the Iowa State Bar Association’s Environmental and Natural Resources Section Council, served on the Iowa Climate Change Advisory Council, and is the chair of the Berkshire Hathaway Sustainability Leadership Council. Prior to joining Berkshire Hathaway Energy, she was a litigation attorney in private practice and served as a judicial clerk for the Seventh Judicial District of Iowa.
Rick is a Partner at Pollination, a specialist climate change advisory and investment firm, and is globally recognized as a leading climate change lawyer. For two decades he has advised governments, multinational companies, financial institutions, funds and project sponsors on the economic transition to a low carbon economy, including being a thought leader on carbon and environmental market transactions. He is officially ranked by Chambers USA and Chambers Global as a leading climate change lawyer, an accolade he has held for over 10 years. Rick is a former Partner and head of Baker McKenzie’s North American Climate Change Practice; and former Chair, International Emissions Trading Association (IETA). He serves on the Governing Council of IETA and the Board of Advisors to the USC Schwarzenegger Institute. Rick was awarded Chevalier of the National Order of Merit by the President of the Republic of France for his significant contribution to the preparation of the Paris Climate Summit, and the implementation of the Paris Agreement.
Council of Jurisdictions
- British Columbia – Christopher Gilmore, Executive Director, Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy
- California – Rajinder Sahota, Deputy Executive Officer for Climate Change & Research, California Air Resources Board
- Colorado – Shaun McGrath, Environmental Health & Protection Director, Department of Public Health and Environment
- Georgia – Karen Hays, Air Protection Branch Chief, Environmental Protection Division
- Hawai’i – Scott Glenn, Chief Energy Officer, State Energy Office
- Illinois – Carrie Zalewski, Chairman, Illinois Commerce Commission
- Maryland – Ben Grumbles, Secretary, Department of the Environment
- Massachusetts – Will Space, Senior Technical Advisor for Climate Programs, Department of Environmental Protection
- Michigan – Brandy Brown, Climate & Energy Advisor, Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy
- New Hampshire – Joseph T. Fontaine, Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative & Technical Programs Manager, Air Resources Division, Department of Environmental Services
- New York – Maureen Leddy, Director of Office of Climate Change, Department of Environmental Conservation
- Nevada – Bradley Crowell, Director, Department of Conservation & Natural Resources
- Northwest Territories – Cory Doll, Manager, Climate Change & Air Quality, Department of Environment & Natural Resources
- Nova Scotia – Brittany White, Senior Policy Analyst, Department of Environment & Climate Change
- Oklahoma – Kendal Stegmann, Air Quality Division Director, Department of Environmental Quality
- Oregon – Kristen Sheeran, Senior Climate Policy Advisor, Department of Environmental Quality
- Pennsylvania – Patrick McDonnell, Secretary, Department of Environmental Protection
- Prince Edward Island – Todd Dupuis, Executive Director, Climate Change and Environment, Department of Environment, Energy and Climate Action
- Québec – Marc DeBlois, Senior Advisor, Ministère de l’Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques
- Rhode Island – Terrence Gray, Deputy Director for Environmental Protection, Department of Environmental Management
- Tennessee – Alexa Voytek, Energy Programs Administrator, Department of Environment and Conservation
- Wisconsin – Maria Redmond, Director, Office of Sustainability and Clean Energy
- Wyoming – Todd Parfitt, Director, Department of Environmental Quality
- Yukon – Rebecca Turpin, Director, Climate Change Secretariat, Department of Environment
At our most recent meeting with the Council, 20 sub-national representatives updated us on climate progress in their jurisdictions. You can view the highlights here.